Similar to adults, thousands of children across the United States are no strangers to identity theft. Thieves often steal social security numbers from children to help them apply for government benefits, obtain a loan or new credit cards, and can even submit false information when being questioned by police. These types of people often consume brand new identities when they’ve found a child’s information that they can easily steal.

Filling out the correct paperwork and knowing when and where to file that paperwork is important to stopping the criminals as soon as possible and recouping your child’s identity.

When a Child’s Identity Has Been Stolen: Steps to Take

Whether you’ve been receiving collection calls from companies you’ve never heard of or you can’t receive the government benefits you deserve, once you’ve seen the signs, it’s time to take action.

The first thing to do is to contact your local police department and the Federal Trade Commission. They’ll create a special file for your child and may even be able to track and catch the criminals based on information in your credit reports.

Next, you must do everything you can to remove any accounts that were opened under your child’s social security number.

Filling Out The Required Identity Theft Forms

There is a large pile of paperwork and identity theft forms waiting for you when you have a young family member that’s been a victim of identity theft:

  • Police Reports – A police report must be filed when someone has been the victim of identity theft. The FTC has set strict rules for police departments to follow when approached by a victim.
  • Affidavits – Affidavits are needed throughout the process to help your consumer identity theft lawyer approach financial institutions with the upper hand. An FTC Identity Theft Affidavit must be filled out and submitted to the Federal Trade Commission. A copy must also be given to your police department.
  • Requests for Credit Reports – Fill out a credit report request and background check form and submit on behalf of your child to every consumer reporting agency you can think of, including Transunion, Equifax and Experian. You should also have your police department check criminal record databases to see if the person who stole your child’s identity has been involved with any other illegal activity.
  • Uniform Minor’s Status Declaration– When you want a bank to remove a record due to a child’s age, you will have to fill out a form called the Uniform Minor’s Status Declaration. This form states your child’s real age. Along with the form, include proof of the child’s age, such as a birth certificate or passport.
  • Cease and Desist Letter for Collection Agencies – If collection agencies refuse to stop calling you, compose a cease and desist letter immediately. Once the investigation has been completed by the appropriate authorities, you or your child will not be sued in court for unpaid bills, and the cease and desist letter will prevent them from calling you.

Always remember to keep copies of original identity theft forms for your own records. These types of problems may last for years depending on how severe the theft was, and you should always have proof that the situation has been resolved.

How Can Michigan Consumer Credit Lawyers Help with Identity Theft?

The process of rectifying a solid background can be very difficult, but your child must grow up and lead a happy life without having to constantly worry about whether or not they can obtain credit, buy a house or rent an apartment.

Consumer credit lawyers are well versed in the legal process of removing all accounts from your child’s credit report. They’ll also be able to complete the never-ending mountain of paperwork that must be filled out and sent in to the police department, credit agencies and the Federal Trade Commission.

Consumer credit lawyers will help speed up the process of filling out and submitting the forms because they do it on a daily basis. They have knowledge of individuals who are currently working at the financial institutions listed on your child’s report, and, in some cases, can get the accounts removed from the credit report within thirty days.

The easiest and most efficient way to clean up your child’s checkered credit and identity history is to hire a competent Michigan consumer credit lawyer to do all the heavy lifting, calling and filing for you. An aggressive tactic used by a consumer advocacy lawyer is often the only way to force creditors to comply with your demands.

If you see errors on your credit report, call or email Attorney Gary Nitzkin for a free consultation at (888) 293-2882. For more information about your credit rights as a consumer, visit our website at for informative, how to videos on consumer financial protection.